hmmm.. oplock problem on smb craches MS Word ... ?!?

Jorge Gonzalez Villalonga jorgegv at icai.upco.es
Wed Apr 14 11:42:00 GMT 1999

EFT.Eric Devolder wrote:

> We run samba 2.0.3 and it works fine since several weeks, until these
> days...
> Since two days I get lots of problems with samba. Oplocks seems to cause
> troubles, and it crashes MS Word in such messages: "unrecoverable network
> error" indefinitely until Dr Watson (under NT).
>
> We run 2.0.3 with samba as PDC. Quite all the clients run NT 4.0.
>
> Here is the entry I encounter very often in the logs :
>
> [1999/04/14 11:29:52, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(943)
>
>   request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request to pid
> 1807
> 0 on port 2384 for dev = 808, inode = 1753116
>
> The config file is very simple, here is a snapshot:
> (it is not complete, the sharings are not essential here :) )
>
> (...)
>
> Can someone help ? Does anyone have an idea ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> regards.
>
>         Eric Devolder.

I know very well what you are experiencing, for that's what I've been
suffering since some time ago. Try to do a "netstat -an" and see if you
have lots of connections not correctly closed (mine were in state FIN2
or something like that), as they fill up the master daemons file table,
and end up screwing the whole samba daemons.

>From what I have investigated, my problem came because samba was
periodically sending "lpq" commands to a printer server, and that
printer server had a faulty 3com NIC. The connections were being made
but somehow were not being closed correctly and it was completely
messing up the server. The error didn't go away by restarting the samba
daemon; when I restarted it, shortly after came those errors again
(exactly the same that you reported).

My solution has been (till now) to restart the print server periodically
(so its network card comes to a somehow "sane" state), and I'm going to
replace the faulty NIC Really Soon Now.

So in your case, I'd check for some faulty network hardware in your LAN,
prolly involved with some of your shares. I guess shares _are_ important
here ;-DD

--
Jorge Gonzalez  <jorgegv at icai.upco.es>       -o)
ICAI - Universidad Pontificia Comillas       /\\