Persistent locked files & Win95

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Thu Apr 8 10:41:49 GMT 1999

> I often find with Samba v2.0.3 that files accessed via Win95 (OSR2) stay
> locked forever after exiting the application that used them.

yes, that's right. This is how "oplocks" work, the client OS keeps
many files open as long as an oplock is held on the file, even after
the application exits. The server then tells the client to release the
oplock if another client requests the file.

> Is there some Samba configuration I can tweak to have the locked files
> freed when accessed under Win95?

why do you want to do that? You can do it by setting "oplocks = no" in
smb.conf but there will be a performance penalty.

Cheers, Tridge