UNICAST_SUBNET - Error - WINS

Christoph Kukulies kuku at gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Wed Sep 30 19:23:08 GMT 1998

First question:

  I grep'ed the collected samba digests on my server for the
  word http and faq to no avail - where is the official samba
  FAQ? - just to show my good will to scan the faq first..

I updated a somewhat older samba installation to p10 and
what's new is that I'm getting:

in log.nmb:
process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for nam
e IPHY<00> from IP 123.45.6.4 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be sent
 to WINS server
process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for nam
e ACBILLI<03> from IP 123.45.6.4 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be
sent to WINS server
process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for nam
e ACBILLI<20> from IP 123.45.6.4 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be
sent to WINS server
process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for nam
e ACBILLI<00> from IP 123.45.6.4 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be
sent to WINS server

What am I missing?
ACBILLI is a NT machine which has (probably ) DNS for WINS enabled.

Is it a good idea to disable WINS generally?

I'd think so.

Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku at gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de