Problem between 1.9.18p3 and 1.9.18p10: "The specified network resource or device is no longer available."

axs at zurich.ibm.com axs at zurich.ibm.com
Mon Sep 28 14:36:45 GMT 1998

Please help me, something broke for me switching between 1.9.18p3 and
1.9.18p10 (on AIX 4.3.1):

If I map two drives to two different shares of the same Samba server like:
      net use e: \\smbsrv\axs
      net use f: \\smbsrv\zrl-afs
and click on E:\ in the explorer - fine, and of course I see an smbd child
      running with my userid on the Samba server.

If I then click on F:\ in the explorer I get:
      F:\ is not accessible.
      The specified network resource or device is no longer available.
      Retry/Cancel
At this point in time, there is NO smbd child running, the old one is gone
      - somewhere here must be the problem.
After clicking either Retry or Cancel, I will see my files and a new smbd
      child with my userid is running.

Same when I now click on E:\ again:
      E:\ is not accessible.
      The specified network resource or device is no longer available.
      Retry/Cancel
but after clicking either Retry or Cancel, I will see my files, all
      completely reproducible (from Win95 and NT4).

This is no problem switching back to 1.9.18p3 ...
Please, any help for me, any ideas?

        Axel Tanner
        IBM Zurich Research Laboratory    email: axs at zurich.ibm.com
        Saumerstr. 4                      phone:    +41/1/724 82 49
        CH-8803 Rueschlikon               fax  :    +41/1/724 89 59
        Switzerland                  http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~axs