Pages printed >

Peter de Groot pdgtech at wantree.com.au
Fri Sep 25 07:17:51 GMT 1998

> We have the need to track printer usage (pages used).
> Right now, my Samba printer share defines the print command
> as "print command = lpr -Pprinter.domain.edu -r %s"
> (The printer is a LaserJet 4000N, with the JetDirect card and
> its built-in LPD server.)
>
> What is the best way to figure out how much paper a given
> user printed?

You need to replace your lpr printing system with the LPRing stuff. This
is a re-write
of  lpr/lpd but with major enhancements. They talk about HP printers a
LOT.
They speciallize in this sort of stuff.  Sorry I don't have the link
handy, but do have there
own web page handy. It is distributed much the same as Samba ,
and works a treat on Red Hat, where it is the  default printing system.

Regards

Peter de Groot