Max Samba workgroup (domain)?

Dan Mandell dmandell at saintmarys.edu
Tue Sep 22 16:20:00 GMT 1998

We are currently experiencing Samba problems (on a Solaris 2.5.1 box
running samba 1.9.8p8) after scaling up from 100 lab users to several
hundreds...in ResNet and I just read a note in the Samba documentation to
the effect that it is inadvisable to increase the size of a workgroup or
Domain above 100 users.

The problem we experience is the "Domain server not available" denial for
some users attempting to login while other's connection remains
unaffected. I've been reading this list for a while, and haven't ever seen
a discussion of maximum workgroup/domain connections?

Is this number of 100 users a real limitation to a samba workgroup
(domain)? Is there a work around for this type of problem? We would rather
not divide our workgroups, but if necessary, is there a simple way to
operate several workgroups from the same server. How about from the same
sun box?

---
Dan Mandell, Saint Mary's College
Department of Information Technology