PAM_pwdb: 1 authorization failure for samba service

yusuf G yusufg8 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:40:42 GMT 1998

greetings!

i'm in the process of doing a 1st time set up of a samba server and i've
gone through a lot of documentation.
running redhat 4.2 kernel 2.0.34, samba 1.9.16p113-rh.

yeah yeah yeah i know it's old but i'm experimenting and getting my feet
wet. however, when i 'tail -f /var/log/messages', i always see the
message regarding PAM_pwdb. the effect is i can't see anything in any
subdirectories below a share. for example in my home dir i've created a
sub-dir placed a file in it. i go to win -explorer expecting to see the
sub-dir and file and pehaps open it. when i double click on the folder,
windows returns "the folder does not exist" even though it was picked up
by the the explorer.

to complicate it a bit, i've logged on to the console as myself and
created a sub-dir in my home at the unix level, gone back to
win-explorer and it tells me the same thing.

well when this happened i thought to myself, 'self, upgrade to the
latest version.' same results. iv'e gone through much documentation
practically the entire set of samba digests.

i would think this is an easy fix but you all probally know best. if you
have any ideas, suggestions, or direction pleas let me know.

regards,
yusuf