question about passwords when logging in

Zane Vanselow enaz at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 8 18:04:40 GMT 1998

Hello Fellow SambaUsers,

Just wondering if anyone can help me w/ a question about logging in and
password protection.  Using Win-NT 4.0 and Win 98, I'm unable to set
passwords for a particular samba server (on unix solaris).  The only way
I can get it to work is if I make the server wide-open for everyone
where it does NOT prompt for a password.

Here's the [global] section of my config file:

[global]
        workgroup = FAST
        browseable = yes
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log/log.%m
        lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
        share modes = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        share modes = yes
        keep alive = 30
        guest account = nobody
        networkstation user login = no
        dns proxy = 150.233.158.161

I'm not sure what to put in this file to get it to prompt the users for
their passwords before logging into the samba server. Also, I do not
understand the authentication process:

 * Does it want the unix password?
 * Does it want the NT password? If so, do I need to add stuff to the
config file regarding the domain controller?
 * Do the unix machine and NT machines have to have the same uid and
password for each user I want this to work for?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much
people!!!

 -zane vanselow
  fcg, san francisco
  415/545-0174