Samba across subnets?

Paul L. Lussier plussier at BayNetworks.COM
Fri Sep 4 22:05:47 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I've recently set up a samba server, but just discovered that people
on the "other" side can't reach it.  The system shows up in Network
Neighborhood, but you can't double click on it.  It returns a message saying
that the server is either inaccessible, or that I misspelled the name
(How I did that with just one mouse click is beyond me ;)

I had  'allow hosts' undefined, accepting the default of allowing all hosts,
and tried changing it to include the 2 subnets we have up here, but it didn't
seem to take any affect.  Is it trying to do a DNS resolution or something?
The system isn't in our local DNS server, only NIS.  And since I'm using
aliases with the system, they aren't in either DNS or NIS.  I would expect
it to resolve via netbios, since it is showing up in the NN browser!

TIA,

--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Ay! :)