Dual personality samba server

Chris Stacey cstacey1 at email.mot.com
Thu Sep 3 18:17:44 GMT 1998

Dear All,

I've just installed Samba version 1.9.18p10 on one of our HP-UX boxes.

The unix box is advertising itself with two WINS names.

netbios name = ukswi0103
netbios aliases = ukswi0104

in smb.conf

I've been playing with the idea of changing the behaviour of the server
based on what the client calls it.  What I'd like to do is have samba do

security = user

if the client thinks it is talking to ukswi0103
and

security = server
password server = ukswi0001

if the client thinks it is talking to ukswi0104

Based on the docs I've got a master smb.conf file that does not have any
'security' or 'password server' values defined, but does have

include = /export/apps/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L

Then I have files 'smb.conf.UKSWI0103' and 'smb.conf.UKSWI0104' that contain
the lines above as appropriate.

Unfortunately this doesn't work.  The case of the machine name in the
smb.conf.* files doesn't make any difference.  And here's what I get from
testparm

Load smb config files from /export/apps/samba/lib/smb.conf
Can't find include file /export/apps/samba/lib/smb.conf.
Processing section "[homes]"
<snip>
Loaded services file OK.
<snip>
# Global parameters
        debuglevel = 2
        syslog = 1
        syslog only = No
        protocol = NT1
        security = SHARE
<snip>

Its not picking up the include and defaulting to security = share.  Not
really what I wanted.

If I explicitly include either file, eg. the NT auth version with

include = /export/apps/samba/lib/smb.conf.UKSWI0104

everything works fine.

Based on my reading of the docs this should work.  I'd be very grateful if
someone could tell me what I've got wrong.  Anyone got any ideas?

Oh, yes I have an smbusers file translating from NT user names (both domain
qualified and not) working fine when it uses 'security = server'
authentication.

Thanks,
--
Chris Stacey
Unix Systems Administrator, Motorola ECID
mailto: cstacey1 at email.mot.com