PDC rejecting session from NT - novice question

Nick Hindley N.Hindley at its.lbhf.gov.uk
Wed Sep 2 11:53:13 GMT 1998

Running samba1.8.p10 on an ICL DRS6000 (SVR4 alike).  I have no problems
with encrypted passwords and security=user mode
However, when I change to security=server mode, I get messages in the log
saying

K75_1_ITS-PDC-NT rejected the session
password server  is not connected
NT Password did not match ! Defaulting to Lanman

and as such, I have to log in as normal.  I have username mapping enabled.
My NT admins tell me that they have enabled the PDC to act as a validator
Any suggestions gratefully received...

Nick Hindley