MS Word 97 and Samba 1.9.18p10

Whiffen, Richard whiffen at ici.org
Sat Oct 31 19:44:48 GMT 1998

Hello all,
    We're having some odd issues with samba and MS Word (And presumable the
rest of the office suite, but I haven't checked) running on NT 4.0 sp3.

MS Word doesn't seem to obey the umask settings:
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775

When a new word document is created, it is given -rwxrw-r-instead of the
-rwxrwxr-x I'm expecting.  I'm not sure whats happening there.
Here's the weird part... Some times word considers documents Read Only, even
though they own the file in Unix, and its mode is 0664.  It doesn't seem to
make any sense.  When go into the command line and chmod 775 the file, it
works fine.  And, on top of that, it usually happens to the same people, and
I have a difficult time replicating the problem with any one else.  The 664
mode should be fine, for most things from a unix perspective, but for some
reason, Word/NT doesn't like it.  The most common problem is the secretary
will open the "bosses" file and make some changes.  Since they're both in
the same unix group, and the RW permission for the group is set, there
shouldn't be a problem.  After making changes, the secretary tries to save
and it they get a permissions error.  If I check the mode of the file, its
764 (rwxrw-r--)  From the unix shell, they can interact with each others
data via the group permission just fine.

So, has anyone else seen this kind of behavior, and is there a solution?

We're running Solaris 2.6 with samba-1.9.18p10 compiled with GCC 2.8.1.

--
Rich Whiffen
Investment Company Institute