Need help connecting NT workstation to Samba Server

William Rozmiarek williamroz at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 09:44:39 GMT 1998

I have a few DOS and Win95 PC's connecting to our Linux  2.0.33 server
running Samba v1.9.18p3.  This weekend, I am installing a WinNT
workstation on the LAN.  I can't for the life of me connect the NT
station to any of the SAMBA services.  It keeps telling me I have the
wrong username/password.
My setup:
Windows NT Workstation SP3 (with the registry set to disable encrypted
passwords).
Linux 2.0.33 Samba 1.9.18p3.

I am not using a special Samba password file, just using normal Unix
authentication.  I don't care about NT login scripts or anything like
that, I just want to be able to connect to a few drives.

The NT workstation can see the Samba server in the Network
neighborhood.  I set up a user on the NT SAM that is the same logon
and password as on the Linux box and use that account to log in.

I'll post an edited version of my smb.conf.

I desperatly need help.  Please post any suggestions to the list and
carbon copy my email as I only receive the digest and can't wait until
the end of the day.

Thanks for any help!

smb.conf:
workgroup = OFFICE
server string = Linux (WinNT) File Server
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2 127.
load printers = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
security = server

I just read a blurb in the Samba book which states that in order to
use unix authentication, security has to be set to user or share - if
this is so, why would the win95 and dos machines be able to get in???
Is this my problem?

password level = 8
encrypt passwords = no
username map = /etc/smbusers
socet options = TCP_NODELAY
local master = yes
os level = 33
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
logon script = logon.bat
logon path = \\$L\Profiles\%U
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
case sensitive = no
fake oplocks = no
lm announce = auto
lm interval = 60
lock directory = /var/spool/locks/samba
locking = yes
mangle case = no
oplocks = false
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
smbrun = /usr/bin/smbrun
wide links = no
dead time = 5
time server = yes
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P %p %s
create mode = 0777
# One of the shared directories
[homes]
comment = Home Directories