Setting up more than 1 samba domain logon server in the same subnet

shui at pointsnorth.com shui at pointsnorth.com
Tue Oct 13 22:35:49 GMT 1998

Hello all,

I have a samba domain logon server set up for Windows 98 clients using
SambaV1.9.18p8.  Logon and sharing are
working perfectly fine.  It is serving workgroup yyctpa.

Today, I installed SambaV1.9.18p8 again on another Solaris 2.6 running on a
PC (name TMA), using the same smb.conf as the workable
version but serving a different workgroup yyctpb.  I created an account
testuser in the smbpasswd file.  Then I rebooted my
W98 and changed the domain to yyctpb, entered testuser and the correct
passwd.  Here's the error I got:

The domain password you supplied is not correct or access to your logon
server has been denied.

I typed everything correctly.  Why is it working for  one installation and
not the other?  That confuses me.  The only difference
between the smb.conf on the two machines is that I took away the line "wins
support = yes" and "domain master = yes" from
the second one.    From the attached log.nmb below, I don't understand why
the samba for the second workgroup yyctpb
keeps on asking another NT workstation (204.50.11.49) for doing the name
registration whereas the first one has no such
problem at all?

Please, please, any advice and comment will be more than welcome.  Your
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sandie

***** Log from log.nmb *****

1998/10/13 15:52:53 netbios nameserver version 1.9.18p8 started
Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1997
standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
register_name_response: server at IP 204.50.11.49 rejected our name
registration of TMA<20> with error code 6.
my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name TMA<20> on subnet
204.50.11.55.
standard_fail_register: Failed to register/refresh name TMA<20> on subnet
204.50.11.55
add_domain_logon_names: At time 1998/10/13 15:52:53 attempting to become
logon server for workgroup YYCTPB on subnet 204.50.11.55
register_name_response: server at IP 204.50.11.49 rejected our name
registration of TMA<03> with error code 6.
my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name TMA<03> on subnet
204.50.11.55.
standard_fail_register: Failed to register/refresh name TMA<03> on subnet
204.50.11.55
register_name_response: server at IP 204.50.11.49 rejected our name
registration of TMA<00> with error code 6.
my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name TMA<00> on subnet
204.50.11.55.
standard_fail_register: Failed to register/refresh name TMA<00> on subnet
204.50.11.55
become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon server for workgroup
YYCTPB on subnet 204.50.11.55
process_logon_packet: Logon from 204.50.11.40: code = 0
process_logon_packet: Logon from 204.50.11.40: code = 0

***** smb.conf *****

workgroup = yyctpb
server string = Calgary, 'C' Agency Server
security = user
password level = 2
domain logons = yes
logon script = %U.bat
debug level = 1
encrypt passwords = yes                            <== domain master = yes
and wins support = yes taken away
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /bin/nispasswd %u
passwd chat = *New\spassword* %n\n *enter\snew\spassword* %n\n
*password*changed* .

[netlogon]

     path = /usr/local/samba-1.9.18p8/netlogon
     writeable = no
     guest ok = no
     root preexec = /usr/local/samba-1.9.18p8/bin/makelogonscript %U %h

[homes]

     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = no
     writeable = no