Strange thing with free diskspace (PR#10111)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thu Oct 1 15:43:48 GMT 1998

Richard Allen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 12:15:55PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> > Samba-2 does this correctly - on a platform with large
> > file support you can happily create & use 20GB files (I
> > have one to test with right now :-) and also it will
> > report filesystem sizes >4Gb correctly.
>
> Great :)  The word "Alpha" in relation with software revisions always
> frightens me (Windows even comes to mind)
> I gave samba-2.0.0-alpha8 s spin (on HP-UX) but had problems with configure
> and compiling.  Expect a patch from me in the near future.

Well our alpha's are usually beta quality :-).
Don't be to concerned. We call it 'alpha' until
we ship the official release.

I'll look forward to the HPUX patch.

> I wanted to thank you for your quick responce and ask if large filesystem
> (>4G) meight by available for current sambas as a (totally unsupported, even)
> patch :)

No - it won't get done I'm afraid. It needs NT SMB
support and that's such a large chunk of new code
that it will never get back ported to 1.9.18.

Ok - never say *never* - it's just that I'm not
going to do it, with 2.0 getting closer to official
release. Of course if you want to do it - be my
guest :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.