Strange thing with free diskspace (PR#10111)

Richard Allen ra at hp.is
Thu Oct 1 10:25:10 GMT 1998

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 12:15:55PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> ra at hp.is wrote:
> >
> > I installed the lastest samba on a HP-UX 10.20 system that is well
> > patched.  On that box I have a filesystem that 90 Gigs total size.
> > Free space in the filesystem is now 70 Gigs, but samba only
> > reports just under 4 gigs to PC's (or Mac's running something called
> > dave)
> >
> > What can I do about this ?
> >

> Nothing right now - Samba 1.9.18 only implements
> the parts of the protocol that report disk sizes <= 4Gb
> (2^32 -1).
>
> Samba-2 does this correctly - on a platform with large
> file support you can happily create & use 20GB files (I
> have one to test with right now :-) and also it will
> report filesystem sizes >4Gb correctly.

Great :)  The word "Alpha" in relation with software revisions always
frightens me (Windows even comes to mind)
I gave samba-2.0.0-alpha8 s spin (on HP-UX) but had problems with configure
and compiling.  Expect a patch from me in the near future.

I wanted to thank you for your quick responce and ask if large filesystem
(>4G) meight by available for current sambas as a (totally unsupported, even)
patch :)

Regards...

--
Rikki.
Bell Labs Unix -- Reach out and grep someone.