Printing Problems

Cary T. Conrad conrad at messagesecure.com
Tue Nov 17 05:16:16 GMT 1998

Many Thanks in Advance:

OS Solaris 2.5.1
Samba 1.9.16 p1

We are running a few networks with C subnets that have between 20 and 200
clients(win95) on each. Everything on the file side is golden, however
printing is another story.

If a PC on the net prints a job, the job is moved to the printer without
any issues. (The printers are HP's with Jetdirect cards) However, when
another (or the same) PC prints a second job -while- the first job is still
being moved from the server to the printer, all applications on the second
jobs PC freeze. Tracing the network shows that there is no information
coming BACK from SAMBA, however, the PC is looking(requesting) information
on the printing port of the SAMBA server. Clear?? Clear as mud? ;}

My WAG is that the PC is expecting status information from the LANMANGER
(samba) server as to the print job status, and blocks application operation
while trying to update the printer status.

Now my questions:

1. Is there an authoritive method for setting up printing in SysV
environment or BSD environment?
2. Has anyone noted this 'feature' before?
3. Any ideas as to fixes/work arounds?

Relevant smb.conf here
---------------------------

[global]