username map not working

Phil Etheridge P.Etheridge at massey.ac.nz
Sun May 17 23:02:23 GMT 1998

I still have not resolved this problem.  Last time I reported it, I
neglected to note the OS & version.

Server is running Digital Unix 4.0B, samba 1.9.18p1

Problem is that a user's home directory only appears on a Win95 client
under "Network Neighbourhood" when they have an all lowercase username on
the server.  Otherwise, user is prompted for a passwd and a bad password
error results.  Problem is duplicated with smbclient as shown below:

ma-kahu{PEtherid}: /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L ma-kahu
Added interface ip=130.123.96.122 bcast=130.123.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Server time is Mon May 18 11:01:06 1998
Timezone is UTC+12.0
Password:
Session setup failed for username=PETHERID myname=KAHU destname=MA-KAHU
ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or
Session Setup are invalid.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords

How do I solve this and retain mixed case usernames?

My other option is to convert all users who need samba access over to all
lowercase usernames, not that big a deal, but I'd prefer not to if I can.

Thanks in advance.

--
Phil Etheridge                   http://fims-www.massey.ac.nz/~PEtherid/
Math Software/UNIX Consultant    mailto:P.Etheridge at massey.ac.nz
Level 2, Social Sciences Tower   Phone: +64+6-350-4191 (direct)
Massey University                Fax:   +64+6-350-2258
Palmerston North, NZ             40*23'S 175*37'E,    GMT+12

"Learning without thought is useless, thought without learning is
dangerous" - Confucius