TRANS.TBL files on Win95 fileserver

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Sun May 17 16:52:50 GMT 1998

brihall at pcisys.net wrote:

> I have a small LAN in my basement, with my PC running RH5 Linux and a Win95 PC
> connected by Samba. Everything works fine, but when I smbmount a CD (burned
> with xcdroast) from the Linux box (CD is in the Win95 machine) I do not get th
> proper filenames. All files are uppercase, and the TRANS.TBL files appear to b
> ignored. I have tried playing with name mangling, but it didn't help. Is this
> Samba deficiency, or is it something I've configured wrong?

I believe that TRANS.TBL is just a file for humans to find the
original, non-mangled file name.  No system that I know of,
including Windows 95, uses it to provide actual on-the-fly
translation.

If you had created the CD-ROM on the PC, using like the Joliet FS,
then Windows 95 would see long filenames and so would smbfs.  But
Win95 is only seeing longfile.003 so that's all Linux gets.  I think
you can use "-x" to make mkisofs use 32 character file names, but
that's just a future workaround.

Hope this helps.

- edan