HELP: SAMBA eats too many Unix resources!!!

Giovanni Beani g.beani at list.it
Wed May 13 14:23:58 GMT 1998

Hi all,
I've a BIG problem on a Unix SunOS 4.1.4 running SAMBA (samba-1.9.18p3) in
order to export some file systems to WindowsNT client machines. The client
are using Visual C/C++ 5.x for compiling files (source are remote, but
binary are generated on local disks). The problem is that the CPU time and
the IO goes... too UP (I've a load average of 8)!!!

I traced the clients (with log level and log file options) and I found that
the Visual C/C++ check the files status for EVERY FILES presents in a
"Workspace Environment", even if that file isn't opened!!!

Here you will find one of the many lines I found into a log file:

[...]
switch message SMBgetatr (pid 12041)
unix_clean_name [./nam/marketseuro/include/mrkutil.h]
unix_clean_name [nam/marketseuro/include/mrkutil.h]
05/13/1998 16:10:27 getatr name=nam/marketseuro/include/mrkutil.h mode=0
size=4315
05/13/1998 16:10:27 Transaction 96577 of length 59
[...]

Do you have any suggestion???

Please heklp me, because my bosses here want to eliminate that great
software which is SAMBA!!!!!

Thanks a lots in advance (please replay also to my email address).

Bye!

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad english!