Why only one WINS server?

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon May 11 19:13:30 GMT 1998

Robert Dahlem wrote:
> In my environment there is no MS WINS server, only Samba WINS servers. From trying
> I know that MS clients can resolve NETBIOS names by broadcasting a WINS request and
> Samba will answer to these requests as long as it is configured with "wins proxy = yes".
>
> The lookup in my environment depends on /etc/hosts only and this one should be in sync
> nearly all the time because it is fed by NIS. This is really convenient because now all
> clients can use anything in /etc/hosts without having to configure something special on them.
>
> Is this situation a legal exception from the rule not to setup two Samba WINS servers?

	Very nearly! This is what I consider sane and reasonable, but
	Mr Murphy is still around...

	Because MS is trying hard to be both
		1) friendly/helpfull, and
		2) backwards compatible,
	it is entirely possible to come up with a case where
	an old and undesirable behaviour (e.g., broadcast announcements)
	interacts with modern ``best practice'' (subnets) to ensure
	that some machines are only visible on one net and via
	one particular wins server.

	With effort, and reference to source code, we might be able to
	define rules that would avoid such problems, and procedures
	to ensure they aren't broken.  However, I'd far rather spend
	the effort setting up DNS, which is well-understood, and
	actually documented, rather than something whose definition is
	private source code and which is doomed anyway.

--dave (been there. hated it) c-b

Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb