SUMMARY: Re: URGENT: cannot use smbpasswd

SI-Gaetan Boudreau boudreg at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Mon May 11 19:42:27 GMT 1998

The question was:
> Since I upgraded from 1.9.18p3 to p4 (Friday May 8) the users cannot
> execute the smbpasswd command

> Here is the output we get:
> terre{testgb}65: smbpasswd
> Old SMB password:
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session request. Error was :
> code 131.

The answer was:
You need to put 127.0.0.1 into your 'hosts allow' list in the smb.conf
file.  You undoubtedly are currently restricting access.  The 127.0.0.1
is the loopback address, so this is permitting access from the machine
to itself.  Good luck!

		Bill Knox (wknox at oeb.harvard.edu)
		Harvard University Herbaria

Gaetan Boudreau, ing/P.Eng.
Administrateur de reseau/Network Administrator
IRCM (Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal/
      Clinical Research Institute of Montreal)

tel: 514-987-5563   fax: 514-987-5644
Internet E-Mail: Gaetan_Boudreau at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Internet Web Site: http://www.ircm.umontreal.ca