Sync browse list between multiple workgroups?

Andre Albsmeier andre.albsmeier at mchp.siemens.de
Fri May 8 20:04:17 GMT 1998

> At 05:03 AM 5/9/98 +1000, Rob Naccarato wrote:
> >> Grmpf, I have 3 subnets with 3 workgroups :-(
> >>
> >> Isn't it possible that one samba server collects the browselists
> >> for all 3 workgroups?
> >>
> And each subnet is it's own workgroup right?  No cross-over between any of
> them?  That's the same problem we struggled with at Hartwell.  If you have
> at least one Samba server per subnet then there is a way...  Designate one
> and only one Samba server (or NT-AS server if you're into that) as the WINS
> server and configure all systems (Samba, NT, Win95, WFWG, whatever) to use
> it.  Next configure your Samba servers to "remote browse sync" with the
> other two.  This should make it so that you can expand the Entire Network
> and see the other workgroups listed, expand one of them and go browsing!

That's (nearly) what I have done now: I have 3 subnets, each with a
different workgroup, connected together with one router. I configured
one samba server in each subnet and on samba server (including WINS)
on the router. All clients (and the 3 samba servers) point to
the WINS server for name resolution. It works great!

However, since I found some messages in log.nmb saying something
about "sync session rejected" (or similar), I removed the
"remote browse sync" option and it still works perfectly.

Thanks to all who replied,

	-Andre