Sync browse list between multiple workgroups?

Michael St. Laurent rowl at earthlink.net
Fri May 8 19:15:45 GMT 1998

At 05:03 AM 5/9/98 +1000, Rob Naccarato wrote:
>> Grmpf, I have 3 subnets with 3 workgroups :-(
>>
>> Isn't it possible that one samba server collects the browselists
>> for all 3 workgroups?

And each subnet is it's own workgroup right?  No cross-over between any of
them?  That's the same problem we struggled with at Hartwell.  If you have
at least one Samba server per subnet then there is a way...  Designate one
and only one Samba server (or NT-AS server if you're into that) as the WINS
server and configure all systems (Samba, NT, Win95, WFWG, whatever) to use
it.  Next configure your Samba servers to "remote browse sync" with the
other two.  This should make it so that you can expand the Entire Network
and see the other workgroups listed, expand one of them and go browsing!

Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority
it is time to pause and reflect."
               -- Mark Twain