NT4.0 rename on Samba 1.9.18p2 share on SunOS 4.1.3

Jay Anderson Jay.Anderson at dw.deere.com
Fri Mar 27 07:26:19 GMT 1998

I am seeing an odd behavior with NT4.0 SP3 workstations trying to rename
files on Samba 1.9.18p2 shares on SunOS 4.1.3 servers.  Rename, whether
it is run from Explorer, winfile.exe, or command prompt fails with
"Access Denied

I don't see the problem from Win95 PCs at all, and I don't have the
problem with shares from Samba 1.9.18p2 shares on Solaris 2.5.1 servers
using identical smb.conf files.  I upgraded from Samba 1.9.16p11
recently, and I didn't have the problem with that version of Samba on
the same servers.

I can copy and delete files using Explorer, and from the command prompt
I can copy a file and delete the original.  It is only the rename
function that causes problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks.