help for windows 98

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Thu Mar 26 18:29:28 GMT 1998

Franco Saiu wrote:

> I'm writing because I had a problem with Samba, while installing it on some
> of our computers with Windows 98 (beta 3).
>
> We have an internal network not accessible from the outside, in which we
> use the sending in the clear (I.E. not encrypted) of the access passwords
> to Samba running on a Sun machine with Unix Solaris OS.
>
> We use unencrypted passwords because Windows 95 doesn't support them, so we
> currently have clients with Windows 95 and clients with Windows NT 4.0
> (with Service Pack installed), on which we have modified the Registry as:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters
> key name:
> EnablePlainTextPassword
> value:
> 1
>
> Now it seems that Windows 98 won't support (as a default setting) the
> unencrypted passwords, so every time we try to connect to Samba the
> connection is refused because the password is wrong.
>
> Do you know if it would be possible to edit Windows 98 Registry to overcome
> this problem and let it send the passwords in the clear?
>
> Thank you.

Use the same registy setting as for Win95. See the file

docs/Win95_PlainPassword.reg

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177