smbd overspawning problems

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Mar 19 23:41:49 GMT 1998

I say the same problem on an SGI system running 1.9.18p3.
I started killing xterms and other things on my desktop and
was finally able to do a ps and saw screenfulls of smbd's.
As fast as I was killing things something (I assume it was smbd)
would eat resources again. I couldn't even su to do a shutdown.
After rebooting all I saw in the log were a few print requests
but nothing that looked unusual. This machine was also the
wins server.