NT sp 3, readme, section 3.6, response?

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Thu Mar 19 21:25:32 GMT 1998

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:08:34 +1100, you wrote:

>I'm not yet running Samba, but I did just install service pack 3 on
>an NT machine, and the readme file section 3.6 indicated that such machines
>will not talk to Samba servers unless the registry is modified.
>
>Will/has Samba been brought into line so that such machines will connect
>without registry modifications?

Well...sort of :-)

Samba has had the ability for quite a while to be able to handle encrypted
passwords passed from Windows (and NT4 (as of SP3) refuses to talk to
servers that don't handle encrypted passwords unless the registry patch you
mention is applied), however the method of password encryption used by SMB
(MS Networking) is incompatible with a normal Unix password file. Samba
must therefore maintain it's own independant password file, containing the
SMB passwords. This means that it is difficult to implement and maintain,
sadly there isn't much we can do about that, although there are possible
solutions (such as altering your passwd program to alter both the main
password file and the seperate smbpasswd file). For these reasons password
encryption is not enabled by default in Samba, information on enabling it
(which has become a lot easier from the 1.9.18 release) can be found in
Encryption.txt in the docs directory of the main Samba distribution.

Hope this helps clarify things,

Simon Hyde
Simon Hyde