Why multiple spool files?

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 18 21:10:00 GMT 1998

> Using Samba v1.9.18p3 on a Linux system, I find that that any print jobs
> sent to a shared printer results in doubled files.  It's not that 2
> copies  of the print job are actually *printed*, it's just a matter of
> dual spool files being created.

Samba spools the files and the uses the value of 'lpr command' to print
the file.  For example, if you are using "/usr/ucb/lpr -P %p %s; rm %s"
as the print command, samba effectively does a "cat $FILE | $LPRCOMMAND"

The dual spooling is normal.  If you wish to send the job directly to
the printer, you will have to use some sort of LPR client on the Windows
box and bypass samba.

PS : Check the man pages on "lpr command" and others (ie. lprm, lpq,
etc... ) for more info and use testparm to see what value for the
commands is currently set.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter