Error while compiling

Steven Knox wsknox at wctc.mtcs.tec.me.us
Mon Jun 29 09:00:13 GMT 1998

I have had this same problem. I found a wotkaround for it, though the
workaround is not very attractive because it results in unoptimized
code. In the Makefile, edit the line that says:

FLAGS1 = -O

to remove the "-O". This will turn of compiler optimization, and
everything will compile fine. If you want, you can compile once
with the -O to get optimized code before the smbpass.c file, and then
remove the -O, recompile _without_ doing a "make clean" to get
unoptimized versions of the rest.

>Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:36:42 -0400
>From: Sing-Cheong Ong <sing-cheong.ong at cmich.edu>
>To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
>Subject: Error while compliling
>
>Hi, Please help me resolve this problem.
>
>While compiling samba-1.9.18p8, I got this message:
>
>cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
>make: *** [smbpass.o] Error 1
>
>I have re-edited the Makefile, and recompiled several times. Each
>time I
>
>got the same error message, at exactly this same spot.
>Is this a problem with my gcc compiler? which the message seems to
>imply. But I have compiled the kernel several times with no problem.
>(Is there a log file somewhere which I can pull out to show you?)
>
>Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>

>Hardware:
>Acer Extensa  393T laptop, 166MHz MMX Pentium CPU, 32 MB EDO RAM,
>2.1 GB HDD 3COM 3c589D ether PC card
>
> OS: Slackware Linux 3.4, kernel 2.0.34, gcc 2.7.2.3

Steven Knox, Information Systems Support Technician
Washington County Technical College
RR 1 Box 22C
Calais, ME 04619	 	    wsknox at wctc.org