Error while compliling

Sing-Cheong Ong sing-cheong.ong at cmich.edu
Fri Jun 26 14:36:42 GMT 1998

Hi, Please help me resolve this problem.

While compiling samba-1.9.18p8, I got this message:

cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
make: *** [smbpass.o] Error 1

I have re-edited the Makefile, and recompiled several times. Each time I

got the same error message, at exactly this same spot.
Is this a problem with my gcc compiler? which the message seems to
imply.
But I have compiled the kernel several times with no problem.
(Is there a log file somewhere which I can pull out to show you?)

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Hardware:
Acer Extensa  393T laptop, 166MHz MMX Pentium CPU, 32 MB EDO RAM, 2.1 GB
HDD
3COM 3c589D ether PC card

OS: Slackware Linux 3.4, kernel 2.0.34, gcc 2.7.2.3