File Permissions

Quynh Hoang qhoang at syd.csa.com.au
Wed Jun 24 22:45:19 GMT 1998

Dear Samba Gurus,

How do we configure Samba so that It will keep the UNIX file permissions intact after that file is being EDITED (Not CREATED) by windows applcations.

For example, there is a file called test.doc and it has a file permission of 700 for owner, group and others respectively. Currently, after I use word to edit this file its file permission will change to 744 or to whatever value "create mask" is set to.

I can always change its permission back to what it was from Unix but I think there would be a better way of doing this.

I am looking forward to hear your feedback.

Thanks very much.

Quynh Hoang
System administrator
CSC AUSTRALIA