Files created with wrong owner

Peter H. Lemieux phl at cyways.com
Wed Jun 24 16:59:46 GMT 1998

I'm connecting to 1.9.18p8 on Linux 2.0.33 from an NT 4.0 workstation.  I
connect to the share with username phl and unencrypted passwords.

In smb.conf, "force group=httpd" for the share called "sites."  Smbstatus
correctly reports:

[root at www /sites]# smbstatus

Samba version 1.9.18p8
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
sites        phl      httpd     7422   sarakitty (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) Wed Jun

However when I create a file from NT, I get this:

[root at www /sites]# ls -l
total 360
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     httpd           0 Jun 24 11:38 New Text Document.txt

That is, the user is always root, not phl.  This also happens even if I
use "force user = phl" for this share.  There are no other "force user"
entries in smb.conf.

The directory itself is /home/httpd/sites.  sites is owned by phl.httpd as
are all its subdirectories and its parent, /home/httpd.  /home is owned by
root.root.

Any ideas?

Peter

-----

Peter H. Lemieux, President
CYWAYS, Incorporated
21 Westchester Road, Newton, Massachusetts 02158 USA
Voice:  (800) 5-CYWAYS (+1 617 796 8995)
Fax:    (617) 796-8997
Web:    http://www.cyways.com