Browse list problem sorted

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Tue Jun 23 19:54:51 GMT 1998

Hi,

I posted a couple of times about a problem I was having with browsing,
where smbclient (and other clients) showed nothing in the browse list,
but wins.dat and browse.dat showed a list and the log showed the server
becoming the domain and local master browser.

Well, the problem turned out to be permissions on the .../samba/var and
.../samba/var/locks directories; not allowing the 'guest account' access
to the files.  D'oh!

I thought I just post to let you know the solution (so hopefully someone
won't be as dumb as me in future ;-).

  - Bob

  I also seek adventure and fortune in the New World! -> esteban at mince.net
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/