Printing on Windows 95

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Tue Jun 23 14:50:17 GMT 1998

Vaclav Kolar wrote:

> Hi,
> I have installed v 1.9.18.p3 for IRIX 6.2. I can share my files between
> SGI station and all local PC with Windows 95. I would like to send print
> jobs from SGI machine to Windows 95 local machine printer too.
> I tried it by smbclient and it was OK. However, cause it's not
> practical. I try to print too using the sambalp command, by another name
> the bulit-in Printer manager. The syntax of sambalp command should be
> sambalp printer file user system. However, there are no details about
> the parameters meaning.
> So, I tried sambalp vb(name of printer SERVER:HP) filename lp SERVER(the
> netbios name machine with printer!?!). In Printer Status window for 'vb'
> printer the printer job appears, but the printer status is Idle all the
> times. More, I got the mail from lp: can't open printer device
> /dev/smb/SERVER:HP:Permission denied. Permission for lp user of
> /dev/smb/SERVER:HP is setup rw-.
>
> 1.What's the problem with sambalp?
> 2.Do anybody know some more details about sambalp settings?
> 3. Are the permision settings OK?
>
> Any response appreciated. Thank's. Vasek

Sambalp is the print command for printing from a Windows client to
an IRIX printer. The file smbprint is used to send print jobs from
IRIX to a PC printer. You basically install a standard lp filter
and use lp to print. The smbprint filter then uses smbclient to
send the jobs to the PC printer. The comments at the start of
smbprint explain how to add this as a printer for your system. I
would also suggest upgrading to the latest version 1.9.18p8 (I
modified the comments in smbprint but don't remember what version).
You can get pre-compiled inst packages from the samba site

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/IRIX/

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177