NT Domains and Workgroups

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Mon Jun 22 08:01:30 GMT 1998

Is this situation a gotcha?  Or it may be that I'm looking at the
problem wrongly . .

We have NT servers as PDCs in many regional centres and our head office.
Each local area is a domain.  Each local area is also a workgroup, of
the same name.

Now we have been having problems when someone goes from a regional
office with their portable and plugs into head office.  Suddenly the
WINS server sees this PC as representing the region.  The region
suddenly loses browsing, and other strange things happen (this has not
happened to me so I can't say what for sure).

The simple solution for this problem is to have a workgroup of a
different name to the domain.  So I've done this.  But now we can't
browse the whole network, because the NT is a browse master of the
domain and the Samba server is the browse master for the workgroup and
the WINS server doesn't tell the Samba server about the other workgroups
or domains.  I can see the local workgroup and the local domain only.

I've set up the Samba server as:
	os level = 31
	local master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	wins server = www.xxx.yyy.zzz (we have one WINS server, in Head
Office)

and tried
	domain master = yes

which did not seem to make much difference.

K.