Samba Server Icon diseppearing (PR#7846)

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Sat Jun 20 08:59:32 GMT 1998

bkruger at mindspring.com wrote:
> Allow me to explain.
>
> Example:
>
> Server NetBios name - SERVER
> Workgroup = OFFICE
>
> The server is working properly from a functional standpoint.  If I drop to
> the Dos windows of Win95, and type "NET VIEW \\SERVER.  I can use the NET
> command to remap drives, etc.  Once remapped, I can see the remapped
> directory from the Windows explorer just fine.
>
> However, if I do "NET VIEW /workgroup:OFFICE" the server does not show up.
> If I go to the Network neighborhood and look in Workgroup OFFICE, I do not
> see server.
>
> In the smb.conf file, I have enabled Workgroup = OFFICE.  It does
> sporadically show up in the "Network Neighboorhood" on the Win 95 machines,
> but then disappears.
>
> What I would like to determine is what is causing the icon to disappear, and
> what can I do to keep it there permanantly.

Bob,

	To debug browsing problems start by reading
docs/BROWSING.txt to understand exactly how the browsing
works.

If you have NT machines on your network use the browstat
command in the resource kit to show you what local
master browser you have on the network.

This should get you started on fixing the problem,

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.