AutoCad R14 and Samba

Michael St. Laurent rowl at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 15:44:28 GMT 1998

We are experiencing the same behaviour with Autocad R14 at Hartwell
Corporation.  The Engineering Department reported it to me just yesterday.
We too are using samba version 1.9.18p8 on a SPARC architecture Solaris
2.5.1 system.

At 07:21 PM 6/16/98 +1000, Jem Atahan wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>We have here a Sun sparc 5 running Solaris 2.5, plus samba-1.9.18p8
>(although it exhibited the same behavior under 1.9.17p4).
>
>The network clients are NT4 SP3 machines, and the problem is AutoCAD R14.
>Files opened in acad will intermittantly open as read only.
>
>Has anyone out there experienced this, and have they found a workaround?
>
>Anyway, my findings are as follows...
>
>Firstly, the problem seems to be speed/latency related (ie. upping the debug
>level will produce the problem more reliably, so will server load). It also
>seems related to oplock support and will behave differently with different
>oplock settings.
>
>I have got the best results using:
>
>strict locking = yes  #this is for ACad R13/R14 locking compatability
>oplocks = no
>fake oplocks = yes
>
>Setting "oplocks = yes" here produces the same results, and smbstatus
>reported oplocks being set, but it seemed like a dangerous idea to me what
>with the fake oplocks and all...
>
>The above configuration produces an occasional read only file on a lightly
>loaded system (however fake oplocks breaks a number of other things...)
>
>I have produced some log files at the following locations. (Due to the debug
>level affecting the symptoms, most of the log files are at level 3.)
>
>ftp://ftp.condor.com.au//pub/outgoing/samba/fakeoplock.success
>ftp://ftp.condor.com.au//pub/outgoing/samba/fakeoplock.failure
>ftp://ftp.condor.com.au//pub/outgoing/samba/fakeoplock.failure.log250
>ftp://ftp.condor.com.au//pub/outgoing/samba/fakeoplock.smbconf
>
>The first three are respectively, a level 3 log of a successful file open, a
>level 3 log of a failed file open, a level 250 log of a failed file open and
>the smb.conf in use at the time. The share being used is [testing].
>
>I would welcome any input, and am in a position to do some serious
>testing...
>
>thanks for your time...

Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority
it is time to pause and reflect."
               -- Mark Twain