Login Scripts Win95/WinNT

Christoph Zwerschke christoph.zwerschke at sun1.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jun 12 12:53:33 GMT 1998

We want to use simple DOS login scripts with Samba.

Our Samba server is a Sun sparc station running under Solaris 2.6,
our clients are both Win 95 and Win NT 4.0 workstations.

We set up our Samba server with user level security and configured
everything according to the Samba documentation. The Samba server is acting
as WINS server and domain masterbrowser, there is no Win NT server in our
network. We use "Domain Logons = Yes" in the smb.conf file.

Our main question: To run the login scripts on the Win95 and WinNT clients,
do they have to be configured to log on to a Win NT domain or is it
sufficient to log on to a Workgroup?

If log on to domain is necessary:
  Ok, this works with our the Win95 clients, but when when we try
  to set up our  Win NT clients to log on to a domain, they always
  complain that  "the domain controller is missing".
  So do we really have to set up our Samba server as PDC
  only to run log in scripts on the Win NT workstation clients?
  If yes, is this possible with v1.9.18p7 or what else is the
  "latest main branch source code"  (samba_ntdom_faq.html)?
  At least "smbpasswd -add -machine <machine_name>"
  does not work with v1.9.18p7.

If log on to domain is not necessary:
  Why does it not work? Could there be something we are missing?

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Christoph Zwerschke
E-Mail: christoph.zwerschke at sun1.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de
WWW: http://www.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de/~zwerschke/