SAMBA digest 1712

Gerard Hammond g.hammond at garvan.unsw.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 12 04:08:36 GMT 1998

>>Subject: Permissions

>>Hi Samba people
>>
>>I have been wondering about file permissions via Samba...
>>
>> I want to set access permissions for everyone in a certain directory (777).
>> I can't seem to get the files to be saved with world write
>> permission. Relevant section from smb.conf :
>>  ----
>>  [public]
>>     force create mode = 0777
>
>Hi Jason,
>
>you have set the parameter in smb.conf: force create mode = 0777, you also
>need >to add force directory mode = 0777 (since samba 1.7 this one needs
>to be set >separately, otherwise you will have problems as soon as a user
>creates a new >directory).

Unfortunately this does not work with samba 1.9.17p4

I have
   force create mode = 0770
   force directory mode = 0770
in my smb.conf for all directories but creating a new empty directory with
Win95 gives the permissions

drwxr-sr-x  2 gerham   Admin         512 Jun 12 14:07 New Folder

and a new text file gets the permissions

-rwxr--r--  1 gerham   Admin           0 Jun 12 14:07 New Text Document.txt

This is a pity as we use several shares as group access disks and we have
had a few confused people who can't share/read/write others work placed in
these directories.

Anyway, perhaps it is a known (albeit) bug.

Dr. Gerard Hammond
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
384 Victoria St.
Darlinghurst NSW 2010 Australia