Funny caching problem

Erwin Authried eauth at softsys.co.at
Thu Jun 4 18:27:43 GMT 1998

I have just experienced the same problem in 1.9.18p7 after upgrading from
1.9.17p1 on Linux 2.0.32. The problem seems to appear when I read files
from an MS-DOS application. The files are created/updated under Linux.
When the files are changed or even deleted (!) on the Linux server, the
DOS application still gets the old version. Below is my smbstatus output
that shows the affected files:

Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   R/W        Oplock           Name
14611  DENY_DOS   RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
projects/sl9000/v251.be/rom2.bin   Thu Jun  4 20:09:31 1998
14611  DENY_DOS   RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
projects/sl9000/v251.be/rom1.bin   Thu Jun  4 20:09:19 1998

Share mode memory usage (bytes):
   102008(99%) free + 304(0%) used + 88(0%) overhead = 102400(100%) total

The behaviour is perfectly reproducable (It happens always). Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

-Erwin

On Donnerstag, 4. Juni 1998 20:02, samba at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am experiencing a strange problem with 1.9.18p7 on FreeBSD 2.2.2.
>
> When I access files from the [homes] share, my Win95 client seems to be
> caching the files, and not realising that the files may have changed.
>
> For example, I can load a simple text file (from the [homes] share)
into
> Codewright on the Win95 client. Then I edit the same file using vi on
the
> samba server, and write out the changes. Now, if I close the file in
> Codewright, and re-open it, the old version of the file re-appears.
Notepad.

--
mail4u Version 1.3.02 beta (http://www.mail4u.home.at), registered for
Softwareentwicklung und Systemdesign