samba interferes with NT server

Beau Atwater beau at bwa.bellcore.com
Tue Jun 2 14:34:35 GMT 1998

I have an NT4 server as PDC for a domain: WG.  Domain members (on 3
subnets) can either log into the domain, or at least access shares from
the network neighboorhood if they don't want to log on.  When I boot a
samba server as a workgroup member (I don't log it into the domain)
everything runs fine for about 24 hours; domain or WG members can access
shares on any machine including the samba server.  After 24 hrs subnets
start dropping off and clients on those subnets can no longer access the
PDC or shares on the other subnet.  I can turn off the samba boxes but I
still need to reboot the PDC to get things working again.

I am using Samba 1.9.18p4 and the global section of the smb.conf is
below:
   workgroup = WG
   server string = Samba Server
   load printers = yes
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   local master = no
   os level = 1
   domain controller = xxx.xxx.72.3
   wins server = xxx.xxx.213.213
   dns proxy = no

Other info--the PDC and samba boxes are on the same subnet.  All but one
client are on the other two subnets.

I have read all the documentation and samba passes all the diagnoses
tests.  In fact samba always functions correctly for the subnet it's
on.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Beau Atwater
Beau Atwater                               beau at bwa.bellcore.com
Sensors, Systems, and Telemetry                ph1  732-758-3373
Bell Communications Research                   ph2  908-630-9620
                                               fax  732-758-2804