Make windows connect to a port other than 139

green at UMDNJ.EDU green at UMDNJ.EDU
Tue Jun 2 20:50:24 GMT 1998

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Robert Vasvari wrote to samba-ntdom:
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > 	I'm planning to run my own SMB server on some box,
> > 	binding to a user level port (>1024). Problem is,
> > 	WINDOWS (both Nt and 95) only connects to an SMB
> > 	server on ports 137-139. So, the question is:
> > 	is there a way to make WINDOWS connect to a specified port on the
> > 	remote host when mapping a network drive? Something like:
> > 	NET USE \\myserver:myport\myservice \USER:username etc..
>
> no there is not.  you will need to run on pors 137 and 139.

I have what I hope is a related question.

Our routers are no longer using ip-helpers at ports 137-139 (our Telecom
dept. wants to reduce WAN broadcast traffic), and I want to login to a
samba server on a remote segment that is *not* one of my WINS servers.
(We have four samba servers, acting as PDCs and WINS servers, on
separate segments.  Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, Windows clients
can only be configured for two WINS servers.  I'm looking for a way
around this.)

What would happen if I collected all the wins.dat and browse.dat files
from our samba servers, merged them, and then put them back in place of
the original .dat files?  Would nmbd use these newer, merged files?
Would it (and all our PCs) get confused?  Would it just ignore these
files?  Would login requests for remote hosts work?

Obviously, I'm going to try this, but I'd like to get some reaction from
subscribers to this list.

I've tried "remote browse synch" and "remote announce", but either I
didn't set them correctly or they don't do quite what I want (more
likely the former).

My problem is that I'd like to be able to offer remote logins for
peripatetic staff/faculty/students who travel between our campuses.  In
the past, with ip-helpers enabled on ports 137-139, there was no
problem.  Any other ideas on how to get around this?

Clifford Green               Internet -  green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Services     voice -     732-235-5250
UMDNJ-IST                         fax -     732-235-5252
Help wanted telepath: you know where to apply