Strange problem with icons!

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Wed Jul 29 14:28:08 GMT 1998

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Michael Anthon wrote:

> I had a LOT of trouble when I first set up my LAN because people had a
> nasty habit of sharing drive C (even I used to do this until I
> discovered that this is a Bad Idea).

NT shares your C drive as C$ automatically on every install. I don't know
why you think this is such a 'Bad Idea', unless it's simply your shortcut
problem.

> I was not able to get the "shortcut.exe" program to fix this issue under
> 95 as it was supposed to (surprise!!).

Granted it's a terrible piece of code but I've gotten it to work. You
simply need to call it from the directory the shortcut file is in, not
with a pathname. I wrote a perl script to run through all of the shortcuts
under c:\windows and disable the 'link tracking feature' with the -s
switch. It does a chdir(), then calls 'shortcut.exe -s' on each .lnk file.

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753