Strange problem with icons!

Michael Anthon anthonm at tams.com.au
Wed Jul 29 01:01:43 GMT 1998

Check out these MSKB articles.  They describe how shortcuts are
resolved.  In particular, the last one describes the process required to
"fix" this behaviour.

I had a LOT of trouble when I first set up my LAN because people had a
nasty habit of sharing drive C (even I used to do this until I
discovered that this is a Bad Idea).  The main problem is that the
shortcut includes the UNC path to the application and will attempt to
use this first.  If drive C on the machine on which the share was
created is globally available then the app will be run from that machine
instead of the local one.  This obviously has the undesirable effect of
giving poor performance and increased network load (apart from this it
did actually seem to work fine).  NT has a similar problem to 95/98 in
this regard.

I was not able to get the "shortcut.exe" program to fix this issue under
95 as it was supposed to (surprise!!).  I have now gotten into the habit
of regularly checking machines for rogue shares of drive C and have
advised all staff NOT to do this.  I don't have any NT workstations so
I'm not sure if the fixes proposed in the last article work (although
they seem to be more complete than the 95 fixes)

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q128/9/32.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q150/2/15.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q158/6/82.asp

Cheers