Disk size information (was SAMBA digest 1739)

Nick Parker npar at Berger-Levrault.fr
Tue Jul 7 08:44:21 GMT 1998

>> After I map this share to a drive letter on my V4 NTWS, the
>> properties for this drive reports that it is only 4GB.
>>
>> Is this a known "bug"?

>Not a bug: a feature of Microsloth products, which deny the existence of
>anything that takes more than a 32-bit number to describe. Some M$
>products use a signed 32-bit number for this purpose, so the limit for
>them is 2GB.

That just isn't true in this case. NT uses 64-bits for disk sizes. My NT workstation quite happily admits to the presence of a shared 18GB disk. Admittedly it's shared by an NT server and not by Samba, so I can't say if the original problem is Samba or not.

Nick Parker
Berger-Levrault, France