Restoring original file permissions

SCOTT MCASKILL MCASKILL.SCOTT at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Tue Jul 7 13:54:39 GMT 1998

Hello,

I've compiled and configured Samba 1.9.18p8 on a DEC Alpha running
DEC Unix 4.0b for the express purpose of enabling a Windows NT 4.0
server running Seagate BackupExec software to be able to see my Unix
filesystems as NT shares and back them up (as of this time BackupExec
does not support DEC Unix clients).

Test backups have worked OK, but I'm having problems restoring the
original file permissions. The "create mask"  configuration file parameter
is the setting I've been tinkering with. When a file is created, it is
supposedly to ANDed with the result of a DOS to Unix permission
mapping. It looks like when the Unix files get backed up, the permissions
are changed somehow in the process (either by Samba or maybe by
Windows/DOS). Restoring them from tape back to the Unix server does
not give back the original permissions. (For the record, I restored some
files to a temp directory on the NT server and ran a Korn shell interpreter
their  to look at the permissions as they had presumably been backed up.
All file permissions showed as 777.) I've performed file restores using
various "create mask" settings getting curious results. Logically, a create
mask setting of 0777 should preserve whatever file permissions are
passed back through Samba on a restore. A file with original settings of
600 or 644 for example will be restored as 666. This is no big deal when
restoring 1 or 2 files. I can keep a listing a and restore permissions
manually. If  I had to restore a disk however.....

I was curious to know if anyone could offer any advice/solution to
solving this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,

Scott McAskill
OAO Corporation