disable "fake" samba authentication error messages

Urs Rau urs at uk.om.org
Wed Jul 1 22:10:34 GMT 1998

What bothers me is that samba is filling up my log files with a lot of
extraneous/fake entries about authentication failures. "Extraneous/fake" -
because all it is is a reflection of the way the protocol actually tries to login -
going through the upper/lower case mutations as configured.

sample log entries:
-----------------------
Jun 30 19:40:35 dolphin PAM_pwdb[26988]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0) -
> root for samba service
Jun 30 19:40:36 dolphin last message repeated 4 times

Is there any way to have samba only log the really failed logins? (i.e. only if
the password actually never matched - in any of these mutations that are
automatically tried on a single connect)

I really do want to use PAM - because of it's otherwise tight and nice integration
with the operating system.

What and where can I change this behaviour?

BTW I am running samba-1.9.17p4 on Redhat 4.2, but I don't think the
problem has changed even in 1.9.18p8 (at least not according to a colleague
that I checked with)