disable "fake" samba authentication error messages

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Jul 2 08:46:58 GMT 1998

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Urs Rau wrote:

> What bothers me is that samba is filling up my log files with a lot of
> extraneous/fake entries about authentication failures. "Extraneous/fake" -
> because all it is is a reflection of the way the protocol actually tries to login -
> going through the upper/lower case mutations as configured.
>
> sample log entries:
> -----------------------
> Jun 30 19:40:35 dolphin PAM_pwdb[26988]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0) -
> > root for samba service
> Jun 30 19:40:36 dolphin last message repeated 4 times
> --------------------------------
>
> Is there any way to have samba only log the really failed logins? (i.e.
> only if the password actually never matched - in any of these mutations
> that are automatically tried on a single connect)
>
> I really do want to use PAM - because of it's otherwise tight and nice integration
> with the operating system.
>
> What and where can I change this behaviour?

This can't be fixed in samba. samba does not log the password stuff, pam
does. As I understand it, to fix this (a HUGE problem, considering the
number of linux/samba boxes there are out there), you would need to move
the "password level" stuff down into PAM_pwdb. For someone who knows the
code, I wouldn't think that would be a HUGE problem. I don't know the code
:-(

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301