NT - Not allowed from this workstation

Randy Sims randal.sims at srs.gov
Fri Jan 30 23:16:01 GMT 1998

Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <koos at pizza.hvu.nl> writes:

> > When trying to make a share from one of the 2 remaining workstations, I
> > will recevie an error message saying that:
> >
> > The account is not authorized to login from this workstation.
>
> Sounds familiair. After a two-day fight with samba servers, NT
> workstations, NT servers and win95 clients we finally found a config that
> will serve all of these...

Unfortunately, we added workgroup cross-subnet browsing with samba as
both a local master browser and a domain master browser. I'm only
doing NT workstations and NT server -- no Win95.

> Compile the latest samba so it has the correct libaries for dealing with
> NT encrypted passwords.
> *Don't* set encrypt passwords = yes (otherwise some win95 clients can't
> get in).

In order to get the cross-subnet browsing to work, we had to use ...

	domain logons = yes
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes

> Do use smbpasswd to set passwords for people.
>
> So far (fingers crossed) this works for us and lets users locally and
> remote access our servers.

Everything works OK, but (actually BUT, as in big problem) we cannot
access the samba server.  We get the Enter Network Password from NT
with the message ...

	"Incorrect password or unknown username for:

		\\<samba server>

No amount of entering "correct" usernames and/or passwords provokes
any sort of success. Frustration!

We can use smbclient and access the NT resources in the workgroup.

Our verion is Samba 1.9.18p2. Help!

--
Randal N. Sims (Randy)           |  Tel:   (803)725-1387
Westinghouse Savannah River Co.  |  Fax:   (803)725-8829
SRS, 773-A, A1128, Rm. 2         |  Email: randal.sims at srs.gov
Aiken, SC 29808-0001 USA         |  URL:   www.srs.gov

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily
	    represent Westinghouse Savannah River Co. or the
	    United States Department of Energy.